Well, I have decided to start a blog. I was going to begin this once the babies arrived, but I figure I should record all these eventful occurences at the end of my pregnancy. Also, I think this will be easier way to keep everyone updated, especially if things happen suddenly.
On March 27th, I began monitoring called biophysical profiles (BPP). During this monitoring, I am hooked up to a machine which tracks both babies' heartbeats as well as possible contractions. After that is done (usually 20-25 minutes), they do a quick ultrasound scan to check both babies' fluid levels. The first two BPP's, on March 27th and 30th, were excellent. No problems. Babies looked great and fluid was good. Of course, as my whole pregnancy has been complicated, this was too good to last.
On Tuesday, April 3rd, I was monitored again. Again, the babies looked great, but this time I was having contractions about every 5 mins. Luckily, I wasn't feeling them but that defintely concerned my dr so she put on a rx of Procardia (to stop/reduce the contrax). I have to take it 4 xs a day. Also, she said I was on bedrest again and to take it easy. So I returned home and laid low until my appt on Friday 4/6.
Friday, the babies again appeared well during the monitoring. :) But again, I was having contractions (not feeling them) but now they were 2-3 mins apart. On Fridays, there is only a nurse in my office so she called my dr (at another office location) and told her about my contractions and that the fluid was little low on baby A, our boy. The dr decided I needed to go to the hospital and be monitored and given the steriod shots for the lungs. So I was in the triage room of L & D for about 4 hrs being monitored, given an IV, and given the shots. They released me after the contractions subsided to 7-9 mins apart and told me to take it easy and increased my dosage on the Procardia. I did nothing but rest all weekend and had to go back to the doctor's office for more monitoring on Monday morning.
On Monday morning, April 9th, the babies interactions/heartrates still looked great, and I had almost NO contractions!! Yeah! I was feeling really happy, but then they checked the babies' fluid levels, and things suddenly changed! Our little boy's fluid had decreased even more. He has very little fluid. So little that his membrane is sticking to parts of him, such as his testicles and head. :( They decided to immediately admit to the hospital to monitor me and try to increase his fluid levels. Talk about shock! I definitely was not expecting that, and could not hold back my fear and frustration any longer, so the tears began to flow. To top it off, my dr is out of town this week, so the on call dr decided this.
So I was admitted around 11am on Monday morning and immediately hooked up to 3 monitors (2 for h/b's and 1 for contractions) and given a continuous drip IV. The on call dr came by and explained to me what was going on. Basically, the fluid gets low for one of two reasons: either due to dehyrdration/overactivity or b/c a failing placenta. So they wanted to see how his fluid reacted after 24 hours of continuous IV and hospital bedrest. If it increased enough, I would be released to go home on strict bedrest and frequent office visits. If it didn't, I would prob. be on hospital bedrest til delivery.
Tuesday evening, the on call dr (a different one that Monday) came in to check out my fluid. This dr seemed a lot more relaxed about everything, which I don't know if I liked or not. Anyway, he looked at the fluid on a portable u/s machine and said it did not look any better. I told him it actually looked a little less to me. So needless to say, he said I would probably be here until I deliver. They decided to only monitor our little guy continuously and baby b (our girl) intermittently (1 hr every 12 hrs) since she has plenty of fluid. As long as he continues to look good on the monitors, they want to leave them in longer. If he starts showing signs of distress, then they will deliver. He told me that when my dr returns (on Tues 4/17), then she can discuss with me when to do an amnio and possibly deliver. In the meanwhile, it looks like this is my home for the next few weeks. :( Definitely not what I expecting after all that home bedrest.
Now, I am just trying to make time pass until Tuesday when I hope to have more clarity and answers. Also, Tuesday they will be doing a growth ultrasound since I am due for one. I can't wait to see their estimated sizes!